Wednesday, March 3, 2010


We have been on a kick lately to try new recipes. This is one I found in the Best of Taste of Home 2010 edition. I LOVE it! There are about 30 different recipes flagged in my copy waiting to be tried out in my kitchen! Bacon Cheese Burger Buns can be found on page 72 and according to my husband, it's a keeper at our house! One thing that I liked is that it made 24 large "pockets" perfect for freezing, picnics, road trips and lunches on the go. I know you are going to ask for the recipe, so here goes:
Bacon Cheeseburger Buns
2 packages of active dry yeast (about 4 tsp)
2/3 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
2/3 cup warm milk (110 to 115 degrees)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 tsp salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups flour
Filling:
1 lb sliced bacon, diced
2 lbs ground beef
1 small onion chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 lb processed cheese (Velveeta) cubed {I used 2 cups shredded Cheddar and it was okay.}
3 to 4 tsp melted butter
1. In a large brown, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sugar, shortening, eggs, salt and 3 1/2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour to form a soft ball.
2. Turn onto a floured surface and kneed until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm pace until doubled; about an hour.
3. Meanwhile, cook the bacon. Remove from pan and drain. Brown the hamburger and diced onion. Drain. Back in the pan, mix the hamburger, bacon, and cheese till it melts.
4. Punch dough down. divide into 4 sections. Roll each section out into a 12 by 8 inch rectangle. Cut each into 6 squares. Place 1/4 cup of meat mixture into each square. Bring corners of dough together and pinch together to seal.
5 Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 400 degrees for 9-11 minutes. Brush with melted butter. Serve warm with ketchup or barbecue sauce.
Makes 24 pockets

2 comments:

Gallant Family said...

Wow, those look awesome. I doesn't hurt that you're a good cook, though. I think I might have to purchase that book!

The Caywood Family said...

I just made these and they looked just at good as yours. Just have to eat them and enjoy. Im so excited to try them. I am so going to get that book. i love Taste of Home books. They always have good things to try. They take time but it is all worth it.