Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Place


We all should have a happy place and I think I have found another one of mine. The other night, I was watering flowers while watching TONS of fireworks go off around me. When I finished, I decided to just sit in the grass and watch the show. As I was watching, I started to notice how peaceful my backyard was. When Jonathan and I bought our house 6 years ago, we knew we wanted to have a backyard retreat, but had NO IDEA how much work it would be. We did EVERYTHING ourselves. Looking across reminded me of the MANY, MANY, MANY weeks spent working on each phase of the yard- from raking up rocks, digging trenches, laying sod, putting up the fence, building the pergola-twice, laying pavers, putting in the gardens, building stairs, planting roses, and MANY, MANY more little things. I should mention that I put in the fire pit ALL BY MYSELF! Most of this was new to both of us and while the fence almost cost us our marriage, looking across our yard brings a smile to my face. We started with dirt....actually it was clay. And now, we really enjoy our backyard. While it's not perfect, we made it. I really hope that someday, when we sell our house, the new owners will enjoy it as much or even more, than we do.